Monday, April 25, 2016

Has SnapChat gone to far?

420 is supposed to be about rollin and chillin’, but Snapchat has stirred up a tense response with its politically incorrect filter meant to celebrate the late reggae icon and weed lover, Bob Marley. To celebrate the unofficial holiday devoted to pot, the social-media service produced a filter that can make users look like Bob Marley. The filter puts Bob’s famous hat with dreads. But Snapchat didn’t stop there, they went as far as to put Bob Marley’s Face. This means for some people, that it will turn your face black.



This created so much uproar, that Snapchat put out a statement a couple hours after launching the filter, 

“The lens we launched today was created in partnership with the Bob Marley Estate, and gives people a new way to share their appreciation for Bob Marley and his music,” the company wrote. “Millions of Snapchatters have enjoyed Bob Marley’s music, and we respect his life and achievements.”

1 comment:

  1. Emily, I myself was shocked when I woke up that day and seen several snap stories of my friends faces as Bob Marley. I didn't think it was appropriate for this to be an option on Snapchat because to me this is making it seem okay for people to smoke marijuana and make it acceptable when it is not. There are individuals of all ages on Snapchat and I know that my little cousin who is 10 has one. When there brains are not fully developed and they see this type of stuff then it makes them believe that it is more socially acceptable to smoke marijuana which is not okay.

    ReplyDelete