Thursday, May 26, 2016

The New "News"


Social Media is changing the way we consume news. News is now spreading faster than ever due to increased use of social media platforms. Social media has quickly become a place to discover breaking news. This is because social media platforms are able to post about breaking news stories before it will break on mainstream sources.  I remember hearing about Princes death on Facebook before seeing it on TV. TV networks are starting to jump on the social media bandwagon. When using Facebook and twitter I see that news shows are now starting to post news stories directly to social media. They have a bigger audience through social media than TV alone. 

People of younger generations tend to view news online, rather then watch the news on TV. I use social media and the internet to find out about news. I don’t really watch the news; the only news I really watch is the 5 mins before The Tonight Show comes on. In this day and age when people heard about something big that has happened, they don’t go and turn on the news to find out about it.  They go straight to the internet and social media to find out. When using social media, we can view multiple stories and views of big news events. Versus just seeing one side on a news TV broadcast.  It also offers a way to get information about breaking news right away. I know that TV has breaking news stories, where they interrupt current shows to cut to the news broadcast, but to me personally I’d rather read about it on my own time. (also the breaking news stories can be really annoying when you’re trying to watch a show, especially if you’re like me and record your shows. Then you miss half your show because the news broadcast!)

     NewsDev-under2mb-1-29-14

No comments:

Post a Comment